Monday, September 23, 2013

Yachting and kayaking reflection of what I have learnt

I learnt about doing yachting and kayaking. I learnt that I could do all the parts of the yacht and be doing one on the first day and doing the other one the next day. I could do the tiller the first day and then do the main sheet the next and the third job cruising watching were the wind is coming from so I could tell whoever was doing the main sheet and tell what direction the wind is coming from so they wouldn't go into the wind and get stuck sitting there as still as a crocodile waiting to catch his prey . Kayaking I learnt how to turn so if I paddled left and the I would turn. so if I was in a double kayak I paddled on the left side of the kayak and the other person paddled on the right side of the kayak we would turn on the spot like a tank turns, but if you you were turning like a car you would have to accelerate and then turn. I also learnt that I panicked a bit because it was a bit rough and it was also windy. It was a different experience and it was also out of my comfort zone but I got the hay of it though. At first I was nervous like everyone else but it got better. I was good at panicking thought but got better but I  got over panicking and I was just very nervous and that went all through the week. I also learnt that if you lean right or left  the whole time you probably will capsize to not capsize if you need to balance your weight on the yacht. If you start to lean left close to the water you will have to lean the opposite side of the yacht.I was nervous on the first day but I still went out on the yacht.I don't think I would be a good teacher at yachting. I gave everything a go at main sheet, tiller and putting the centerboard and looking where the wind was coming from. I think I could be a teacher if I give everything a go and I could probably be a good teacher. I listened  to all the instructions to what Mr Ford said to all of us. I know now even if i'm nervous I can still do it. One thing I thought of myself that was good was turning the tiller. If I had the chance of going yachting and kayaking I would go again. I communicated really well with who I went with.

3 comments:

  1. Yachting was a big challenge for you at the beginning. I am really proud of the way that you got yourself involved and worked with lots of different children. Great effort, Jared!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job Jared You were really brave. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete